NFL
JUST IN: Trump Postpones TikTok Ban Amid Promising U.S.-China Negotiations, Extends Deadline by 75 Days in Hopes of Reaching a Mutually Beneficial Tech Agreement

Trump Delays TikTok Ban for 75 Days, Citing ‘Tremendous Progress’ Toward U.S.-China Agreement on App’s Future
In a surprising turn of events, former President Donald Trump has announced a 75-day delay on the proposed ban of the popular video-sharing app TikTok, citing what he calls “tremendous progress” in ongoing negotiations with China aimed at securing a deal that could reshape the app’s future in the United States.
The decision marks a notable shift in tone from Trump’s previous hardline stance on TikTok, which he had threatened to ban outright over concerns about data privacy, user security, and the app’s ties to Chinese parent company ByteDance. Trump has long claimed the platform poses a risk to national security by potentially allowing the Chinese government access to American users’ personal data.
“We’re making great progress,” Trump told reporters on Friday. “There’s a deal that could be very good for both sides — protecting American interests and giving TikTok a path forward in the United States. So we’re giving it 75 days to let these negotiations play out.”
What’s at Stake
TikTok, which boasts over 170 million users in the U.S. alone, has been under intense scrutiny by American lawmakers, many of whom have called for its ban or forced divestiture from ByteDance. Trump had previously signed an executive order during his presidency requiring TikTok to sell its U.S. operations or be removed from American app stores.
The 75-day extension now gives TikTok and its stakeholders a temporary reprieve, as discussions reportedly intensify between U.S. officials and representatives from ByteDance and potential American tech partners.
Insiders say the potential agreement could involve a new U.S.-based partnership or operational restructuring that would place more control in the hands of American stakeholders, while implementing more rigorous data protection safeguards.
A Strategic Delay
While some critics view the delay as a political maneuver, Trump has framed it as a strategic step toward securing a win-win resolution.
“This isn’t about banning apps for the sake of it,” Trump stated. “It’s about protecting Americans — their data, their security, their digital lives. But if we can do that through a smart deal, then I’m all for that.”
Despite the pause, the debate around TikTok’s presence in the U.S. is far from over. Lawmakers across both parties remain skeptical of any long-term solution that doesn’t include full separation from Chinese ownership. Others warn that continued delays could weaken the government’s stance on tech regulation and foreign influence.
Public and Market Reaction
TikTok users, many of whom have taken to the platform to voice concerns over a possible ban, expressed mixed reactions. While some were relieved by the delay, others remain uneasy about the uncertainty hanging over the app’s future.
Meanwhile, tech industry analysts say the extension gives all parties crucial breathing room to reach a deal that could serve as a new model for how the U.S. handles foreign-owned tech platforms moving forward.
“This 75-day delay is not just about TikTok,” said cybersecurity expert Dana Reilly. “It’s about setting a precedent for how the U.S. will navigate digital sovereignty in an increasingly global internet landscape.”
What Comes Next
Negotiations are expected to continue behind closed doors in the coming weeks. If no agreement is reached within the 75-day window, Trump has signaled he may revisit the possibility of a full ban.
For now, TikTok remains accessible to millions of Americans — but its long-term fate still hangs in the balance.